As a journalist, I've researched and written features on the topics of health, science, culture, food and travel. My work has been published in Singapore, Vietnam and the US.
As an editor, I've worked mainly with cookbooks and children's books. My duties included conceptualizing the book idea with writers, structural editing, copyediting, proofreading, fact-checking, overseeing layout and design, and managing the project budget.
Here is a non-exhaustive sampling of work I've done.
- Saving Jamaica Bay's diamondback terrapins, Mongabay, Feb 2017
Feature on the declining terrapin population in NYC and why it matters.
- Transgender Latinas team up against discrimination, NPR's Latino USA, Nov 2016
Feature on the transgender Latina community's efforts to combat workplace discrimination.
- Science and environmental reporting, Grist, summer 2016
- What communicating only in emoji taught me about language in the digital age, Quartz, August 2016
- Old Favorites, New Faces, Epicure Singapore, August 2016
NYC's iconic Jewish cuisine-- and its ongoing renaissance -- is the city's real attraction.
- Who Needs Coffee? Mate in Patagonia, Roads and Kingdoms, July 2015
A short personal essay on Argentina's national drink -- mate -- in the Patagonian wilderness.
- Food and Fortune in Singapore, Roads and Kingdoms, April 2014
An essay on the nationalistic underpinnings of lohei, a raucous Chinese New Year ritual.
- The North Stars, SC Global, March 2014
Dispatches from the frontiers of New Nordic cuisine.
- The Last Kelongs of Southeast Asia, Modern Farmer, December 2014
A report on the last remaining fishing stilt structures in Malaysia and Singapore.
- An Art Rebel Heads East, LUX magazine, May 2014
A Parisian museum's latest outpost in Singapore and how it will radically change the art scene there.